Last weekend we wound up in Pittsburg at the Little Balkans Festival and spent some time at the 20th Annual Little Balkans Quilt Show. It was incredible. Walking around the show is like being in an art museum, the only difference is they give you a plastic glove and encourage you to touch the art! According to the booklet I picked up, the purpose of The Little Balkans quilt guild is to stimulate interest in quilts, and to promote and advance the art of quilt making. There was over 150 quilts of all types and sizes. Quilts with names like "Surprise", "Kansas on my mind", "All that jazz", "Gone to the Dogs", "Abbys Crazy about KU" and "Drunkards Path" lined the walls and created a maze of quiet beauty throughout the lower level of Memorial Auditorium. These are some pictures I took, they don't convey the sense of hard work, craft, or the hours folks spent alone, in church groups, between mothers and daughters and yes even a guy or two creating these works of art.
"I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in." ~John Muir, 1913
Thursday, September 6, 2007
Quilt Show
Last weekend we wound up in Pittsburg at the Little Balkans Festival and spent some time at the 20th Annual Little Balkans Quilt Show. It was incredible. Walking around the show is like being in an art museum, the only difference is they give you a plastic glove and encourage you to touch the art! According to the booklet I picked up, the purpose of The Little Balkans quilt guild is to stimulate interest in quilts, and to promote and advance the art of quilt making. There was over 150 quilts of all types and sizes. Quilts with names like "Surprise", "Kansas on my mind", "All that jazz", "Gone to the Dogs", "Abbys Crazy about KU" and "Drunkards Path" lined the walls and created a maze of quiet beauty throughout the lower level of Memorial Auditorium. These are some pictures I took, they don't convey the sense of hard work, craft, or the hours folks spent alone, in church groups, between mothers and daughters and yes even a guy or two creating these works of art.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment