Last Saturday we were lucky enough to attend Eagle Days over in St. Paul Kansas.
The Southeast Kansas Audubon Society of Parsons sponsored “Bald Eagle Days Celebration” in St. Paul, KS. It began with the Director of Pittsburg State University's "Nature Reach", who gave a 45 minute presentation with a live Harris's Hawk, and a Barred Owl along with some facts and ID tips on the Bald Eagle and other birds of prey. I suppose there was twenty five folks or so there, all ages and the young lady who gave the presentation did an excellent job.
After the presentation the group drove to the nearby Neosho Wildlife Area with hopes of seeing some Bald Eagles and other birds. We got to see several immature eagles, as well as a pair flying and creating a dance as they soared. They would soar, turn and appear to lock talons for a brief second. I had heard of this behaviour but had never seen it. A cold front moved in early in the afternoon and we all headed in different directions, I will definitely be back next year.
4 comments:
Larry,
Thanks for your comment on my post on getting kids - and all of us - back outside. I enjoyed perusing your blog and will come back as I have time. (I'm always impressed with bloggers like you who can put up such interesting posts every few days. I'm a working freelance writer, and right now I'm snowed under with deadlines for books and national magazine articles, so I only get to my blog once a week or so!) You mentioned your backyard ecology program for your 8th graders and I wondered if you know the Audubon Society's national environmental curriculum, Audubon Adventures. I usually write a segment for them every year, and it's good stuff. Here's a link to their pilot after school project, which might interest you (http://www.audubon.org/educate/aa/afterschool/pilotProgram.php).
Susan
susanjtweit.com
http://communityoftheland.blogspot.com
Sounds like a lot of Fun Larry!
And wow! to experience the "locking talons" of the eagles....that would have been something! A GREAT way to spend the day!
Larry -
I really enjoy reading your posts. I have left you a present over on my blog: http://theemptyrocker.com/
Thanks for all you do.
Don
Susan; Thanks for your comments and idea regarding the Audubon Curriculum. I will definitley look into it.
Keri; it was a great sight!
Don; Thanks for your kind words and gift at your Blog. I will pass it on.
Post a Comment