Crawford County
Sunset with Iced over Maple Tree
Crawford County
Yesterday we had another ice storm here in SE Kansas. Not nearly as devestating as the last one, just enough to close schools and keep most families at home.
I am always amazed at how the buds in our trees survive these icey globes that form on them. They are beautiful but potentialy deadly to the buds waiting to bloom. Luckily it is way too early for them to flower, last year we did'nt get a peach, apple, berry or pear as late frosts and ice storms damaged flowers that bloomed early.
The sun poked its head out for around an hour right at sunset. After filling the bird feeders I took a short walk . The sun lit up these beautiful ice sculptures in the trees. Some reminded me of birds, some insects and some took on an almost human form. As I shot these photos I could'nt help but wonder if the buds will make it this year. I hope so.


2 comments:
We had the ice, too.
Always so stunning to see the brightness of buds encased in a glassy bead.
But, I, too, wonder if they'll be burned.
I remember the winter wonderland look after an ice storm in Nebraska, the way street light would light up the ice and make it all look like a crystal palace.
Your photos of buds incased in ice?
Wow!
Thanks!
Post a Comment