Sunday, April 5, 2009

Wildflower Hike

Last week my wife and I spent a few hours hiking in the Springfield Conservation Nature Center. It " is a little piece of the Ozarks within the city limits of Springfield. It's a place to enjoy nature's gifts, and to learn about the importance of taking care of them
There were many wildflowers peeking out at the overcast spring sky. Bloodroot (Sanguinaria canadensis) is one of my favorite. It pushes it way up through the oak leaf litter.
Several miles of trails lead down and around the hills were the early flowers take advantage of the spring sunlight before the trees leaf out.
Wake Robin (Sessile trillium) appeared in areas where there seemed to be less leaf cover on slopes. I love the name of this flower, Wake Robin, how can you beat that for a spring name!
Wake Robin about to bloom.
I believe this is Rue Anemone (Anemorella thalictroides)
Blue Violets (Viola papilionarea)

If you are in the Springfield area this is a wonderful place to visit, check out the website at
Springfield Conservation Nature Center.

1 comment:

Walker said...

Beautiful, thanks for sharing.