Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Broomweed

Broomweed Guiterrezia dracunculoides
Crawford County Kansas
According to my well worn Owensby Prairie Wildflowers:Kansas; " Broomweed is a bushy-branched erect annual 1-2 ft. tall, glabrous throughout. The alternate sessile leaves are linear and 1/2 - 2 in. long. The heads are numerous and solitary at the ends of slender branches. The ray florets (6 to 10) have yellow liguate petals and the yellow disk florets (10 -20) are borne on a hemispheric involucre. the fruit is an achene with a crownlike pappus."

Reading a field guide sometimes is an amazing experience, these words the authors use roll off the tongue like a poem. Hemispheric, involucre, achene, crown like pappus.
Stand out in a field and read it aloud, I think even Whitman would enjoy it.

1 comment:

Kerri Farley said...

Beautiful flower! I used to dislike the color orange...now that I look at nature differently I am finding that I LOVE it! *just not on a car*