According to the official website; " The Keeper of the Plains is a 44-foot tall steel sculpture standing at the point where the Big and Little Arkansas rivers join together in downtown Wichita. This land between the two rivers is sacred ground to the Native American people and is also home to the All-American Indian Center. The Indian Warrior sculpture was created by Wichitan and Native American artist Blackbear Bosin (1921-1980). This icon of Wichita was erected on May 18, 1974 to celebrate the United States Bi-centenial and has kept a watchful eye on the city ever since."
To read more about it and see some excellent video and slide shows visit this site;
http://www.360wichita.com/Attractions/KeeperofthePlains.html
To participate in Skywatch Friday visit Tom at Wiggers World for all of the details: http://womtig.blogspot.com/

29 comments:
These are very beautiful shots and interesting Native American history.
Thanks for your visit and comment today!
great shots! interesting silhouttes against the beautiful blue skies.
So .. how did a guy who went to HS in NYC end up in Kansas?
LOVE your photos .. and thanks for stopping by my place!
:-Daryl
Great SWF pic.
Your photos are really good.
Beautiful shots!
Wow, great piece of art, and beautiful photos. Happy SWF!
Came here from Daryl's site. That first shot is imposing. Loved your previous spider web shot and the post from Leadenwood Gardens. Some great work here.
Do keep in touch .... I'm Australian but we all speak English here in this sunburnt country!
I love the angle of your first shot, it's perfect against the sky.
You have some great photos here.
Fabulous picture. Thank you for dropping by my neighborhood. Teachers are a unique breed of people; I'll stop back here again.
This is an incredible shot and I appreciated the information about the sculpture. Always a little sad to me considering the context. I grew up near the Fort Hall Indian Reservation in southern Idaho.
We love "Waking Ned Divine"!
Thanks for sharing--happy Friday.
Wonderful perspective on both and I enjoyed reading about it as well! I'll have to find it next time I drive through Wichita on my way to my sister's.
Wow, I love this! Very cool pix.
Wonderful shots and got a little learnin in too - love that in a SWF!
Oooh Thanks for the lesson. I'm always interested in Native American history. I love the sky around you! & Nice to meet you:) & thank you for your kind comments!
Hello from Colorado. Very cool pictures. I like the first one best.
these are great
Great post! excellent pictures for Sky Watch, and informations for Sky Watchers!
I don't read often posts about Native Indians.
Larry: That is a great statue to show in the Sky.
Hi Larry -- I've been across Witchita quite a few time on our way to Nebraska and sure did miss this one! Thanks for pointing it out.
..
What interest!
This is fantastic and completely mesmerizing! Very beautiful.... stunning.
Mountain Retreat Photos and
Fishing Fiesta
Beautiful shots! Have a nice weekend!
A very beautiful photo for skywatch. Awesome!
Most excellent!
This is just stunning! Great work! The information about the sculpture was fascinating!
Most Interesting Post, with fantastic photos and the story, Ive really enjoyed this post.
The Team thanks you for posting at SW and helping to make this new venture a success.
What a beautiful statue, and the sky behind it isn't too bad either! Happy SWF, and thanks for visiting mine!
Such beautiful photographs you take. I am in awe!
Thanks for coming by my blog. Come again1
WOW! Fabulous skywatch!! Beautiful!!
Post a Comment