Sunday, September 7, 2008

Today's Flowers

Cardinal Flower Lobelia cardinalis L. a member of the Bellflower Famly.
This time of the year you can find it growing along streams here in SE Kansas and SW Missouri. Its beautiful red color stands out.
It prefers open wet ground on prairies, in woods and marshes and along rivers and streams.
There are cultivated varieties you can grow in your garden, but I do enjoy coming across it in the wild.



For more great flowers visit; http://flowersfromtoday.blogspot.com/




15 comments:

Leora said...

So pretty. And you took such nice photos. I wonder if that's the same tall, red flower we saw along the side of the Delaware River two weeks ago.

Sherry said...

Always love to see these bright and striking red flowers. Very pretty.

dot said...

What a beautiful color and certainly unusual to me. Nice pictures!

Pat - Arkansas said...

Beautiful! I've seen these in Arkansas woods, and their color really makes them pop from the background. Very nice photos!

Norm said...

cute and beautiful.. love the red color..

EG CameraGirl said...

You found a nice colony of cardinal flowers! I only seem to find one or two at a ti,e so I;m jealous. ;-)

Tom said...

These are stunning.... and as Wild Flowers must rank high.. I'd love to be able to come across these on my walks.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Larry: It's wonderful to come across these red wildflowers in the wild.

Anonymous said...

This is a stunning set of photos. Nice capture. I love the Cardinal flower.

My flowers are at Thunder Maker

Small City Scenes said...

A very beautiful flower. I am going to put them by my pond. That red is glorious. MB

Cátia said...

very pretty!nice pictures and beautiful flowers

Carletta said...

Love the natural setting of the third image - all are very well done!

Luiz Santilli Jr said...

Great post with marvelous wildflowers!
Thanks for post here in TODAY'S FLOWERS.
See you next Sunday!

Santilli

Kerri Farley said...

A beautiful wildflower!! I don't think I've seen those around this part of the country!

Larry said...

I love the red-terrific phots-It makes meanxious to get back into the woods again.-I've been birding from set spots along fields lately atching hawks and shorebirds.-Not as exciting as wandering though the woods.