Friday, October 24, 2008

Skywatch Friday Mid October

About a week ago I went alone for a hike in the pre-dawn light in the mined land areas east of our house. The fog began to lift as I entered the trail, these areas are the remains of coal mining operations from the early to mid twentieth century and for the most part are are now thick with bur oak, hickories, and walnut with a tightly woven under-story of honeysuckle, sumac, roughleaf dogwood and greenbriar. In the spring this area is alive with tropical migrants, this morning was still except for a few crows.
Mid October Dawn
Crawford County Kansas




For more Skywatchers visit here http://skyley.blogspot.com/

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Makes me want to walk that trail. Lovely sequence.

kjpweb said...

Beautiful images - nice to join you on your walk! ;)
Cheers, Klaus

Anonymous said...

I didn't know that Kansas had coal mines. Nice to find such beauty filling in behind the mining operations.

Mary said...

The colors are amazing. Good enough to dine on!! Having lived in Kansas for decades you've given me new glimpses of that state and I'm intrigued!

Fish Whisperer said...

What a great place to walk and neat photos.
Cheers

Michele said...

Gosh... these are amazing photographs!!!! That last one really did it for me.. the mist in the light on the foliage... wow... unbelievable!
~Michele~
Mountain Retreat- Canada

RamblingWoods2.com said...

Lovely walk...I really should get up early and take a walk..Thank you for commenting on my SW and the dragonfly photo...

Daryl said...

What a lovely part of the country you live in .. thanks for visiting mine

:-Daryl

BerryBird said...

Beautiful morning mist on your walk.

Leora said...

I love the bits of red you found in the woods. Beautiful series of photos.