Sunday, June 14, 2009

Fishing and Solitude

Friday afternoon the sun came out and the humidity broke and the air turned cool. My wife was busy painting in her studio, getting ready for a show next week. So I grabbed my fishing rods and took off for the nearest water. There is a reservoir about nine miles from our place that offers solitude and bass. I decided it was the place to be. I could sit on the bank with the cool breeze blowing off the water and relax. Fishing is like that most times. Other times you cant keep the fish from biting.
I found I was sharing the bank with a Great Blue Heron. After working the shallows he decided that the odds were better fishing off the nearby fish feeder. From time to time he would skillfully set one foot against the edge of the float, lean way back and rest his head on his back. In a flash he would dive out about three feet beak first and slam into the water, never going completely under. His great wings would start to beat and back to the float he would fly with a fresh catch in his beak. Watching him reminded me of Olympic swimmers as they waited to explode into the water at the start of a race. I kept score I was ahead for a while Me 3 fish Heron 1, then me 3 heron 2 then well lets just say I lost.
The bass I caught were all released as they fit nicely into that zone of 15-18 inches which by law saves them from the skillet for another year or two.
Aldo Leopold and others had it right about the value of wilderness and solitude, it is a necessary thing for us folks. This really is no wilderness but there are no jet skis, or crowds and its just far enough out in the country so you cant hear the highway and I think that to be able to sit on the bank and experience afternoons like this proves their point.

2 comments:

storyteller said...

Beautiful post with lovely photos reminding us all of the need for solitude and reflection. Reminds me of times I spent fishing with my 'ex' years ago in lovely surroundings.
Hugs and blessings,

WR said...

Almost enough to make me want to move there! :) Nothing sweeter than sun, quiet and fishing! Lovely photos...and I you caught a fish...perfect.