"I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in." ~John Muir, 1913
Tuesday, October 30, 2007
Halloween Black Cat
Eight years ago tonight I stood out in the dark with my daughters and wife admiring our handiwork at carving pumpkins. We had lit candles in the hollow orbs and they glowed, "cool" we said together. Out of the dark came a pitiful meow, we turned and squinted into the dark and listened as the meow came closer and closer across the front yard out of the tall grass. We couldn't see her as black as she was, she was skinny and about a week past being weaned. That's how Stinky the Black cat showed up at our place on Halloween eve. Shes been here ever since, we wont go into how or why my girls called her stinky. She didn't work out with the other house cat the aloof miss kitty, so she became our shed, garage and general outside cat. We live a mile or so out of town, over the years we have had several cats dumped here. We feed them, most move on. Stinky stayed. The dogs and other outside cats treat her as royalty, shes fast with a claw. She follows me when I go for walks. She climbs every fence post or any vertical object hoping Ill scratch her head, I usually oblige.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
A black cat for Halloween, I guess it was destiny. Great story and pictures.
Sweet story! And she is beautiful!
Post a Comment